Licensed Practical Nurse
- St. Ann's Residence
- Job Type:
- Full Time
- Posted Date:
- Feb. 23rd 2018
- Duluth, MN 55801
Join our caring team today!
Reports To: Registered Nurse
The Licensed Practical Nurse performs a variety of professional nursing duties in the care of home care clients, complies with state rules and regulations, and follows established policies and procedures of the home care agency.
This position is at "at will" position and the employee and employer are free to sever the relationship at any time with or without cause. A minimum of 30 day notice of the intent to resign is requested for this position.
- Graduate of school of nursing for Licensed Practical Nurse.
- Must be registered and licensed with the State of Minnesota as an LPN, and must maintain current unencumbered license with the Board of Nursing.
- Prefer at least 1 year experience in home care or long term care.
- Working knowledge of the state requirements for the Comprehensive Home Care license and LPN scope of practice.
- Excellent judgment and decision-making abilities and problem solving skills and the ability to work independently.
- Must demonstrate leadership, good judgment, and dependability.
- Maintain confidentiality for residents and staff.
- Must be knowledgeable and accurate in the administration of medications and treatments.
- Must be flexible in dealing with changing situations.
- Ability to use computers and electronic records.
- Ability to effectively communicate in English, both verbally and in writing.
- Must be able to read, comprehend and follow instructions and work with accuracy in all job activities.
- May be required to work long hours, weekends and holidays.
- Must be able to deal tactfully and use good communication, listening and customer service skills with residents and their families and with staff. Must be mature and remain calm with clients/staff/ families in difficult and unusual circumstances.
- Must be knowledgeable about validation techniques, reality orientation and/or appropriate diversional activities for clients with dementia.
- Must work as a team member and maintain a positive demeanor.
- Must receive a "not disqualified" criminal background result from Department of Human Services and may not be on the OIG exclusions list.
- Must be screened for TB.
- Must have reliable transportation.
- Works under the direction of the RN to monitor residents' needs and changes in condition, conducting focused assessments when appropriate and reporting the results to the RN.
- Assures that unlicensed staff members perform their duties and responsibilities in a timely, quality manner, and reports problems to RN.
- Reports changes in client condition or other concerns about clients to the RN in a timely manner.
- Initiates emergency procedures for clients and reports to RN.
- Reviews client care plans developed by the RN and consults with RN about client conditions and their treatments.
- Performs focused assessments/clinical updates 14 days after admission and at least every 90 days thereafter.
- Transcribes & assists with implementation of physician orders.
- Assures accuracy and promptness in transcribing physician orders.
- Carries out proper charting practices and documentation procedures. May include electronic charting. Basic computer knowledge is essential.
- Assists with start-up of services for new clients, transfers to settings such as hospitals, nursing homes or assisted living and discharges as requested by RN supervisor.
- Assembles and operates equipment such as oxygen suppliers and other equipment used for client care.
- Orders, sets up and administers medications.
- Assists Registered Nurse in orienting, training and mentoring new staff.
- Attends required meetings, in-service training and conferences.
- Performs delegated tasks and other duties as assigned by the RN.
- Assists the Registered Nurse in the monitoring and evaluation of the job performance of unlicensed staff.
- Consults with Registered Nurse regarding unlicensed staff performance problems.
- Schedules work of unlicensed staff within established guidelines.
- Assists unlicensed staff as necessary in performing their duties.
- Primary responsibilities will be conducted in establishments in clean, well-lit, climate controlled areas such as client apartments, hallways, work rooms, client dining area and meeting rooms.
- Exposure to body fluids, infection, odors and behavior of clients that may be aggressive, combative or demanding.
- The noise is usually moderate.
- Exposure to chemical and respiratory hazards is possible.
- Some travel to meetings and seminars may be required.
- Work hours as assigned, scheduled, or mutually agreed upon. Occasionally called upon to work on short notice.
- While performing duties of this job, employee is regularly required to use hands and fingers to examine clients, handle or feel objects, tools, or controls. In addition, the job requires walking, bending, stooping, pushing, pulling, kneeling, reaching overhead and lifting, and/or move up to 25 pounds and regularly lift and/or move up to 50 pounds.
- Occasionally lift and/or move up to 100 pounds. Push up to 75 pounds.
- All employees are required to complete a thorough physical assessment through Essentia Health Occupational Medicine within 30 days of hire and authorize the release of this information to St. Ann's.
- Must have adequate vision and hearing necessary to perform job functions.
The job description is not intended to be all-inclusive. The employee will also perform other reasonable related duties as assigned by the supervisor or other management personnel.
Management reserves the right to change job responsibilities, duties and hours as needs prevail. This document is for management communication only and is not intended to imply a written or implied contract of employment.
Apply to Job
- Staff Registered Nurse Duluth MN 55801
- Unlicensed Staff/Certified Nursing Assistant/Personal Care Assistant Duluth MN 55801