Assistant Planner or Senior Planner - Position #18-00013
- City of Tukwila
- Job Type:
- Full Time
- Posted Date:
- Apr. 4th 2018
- Seattle, WA 98108
City Of Tukwila
City of Opportunity - Community of Choice
invites applications for the position of:
Assistant Planner or Senior Planner - Department of Community Development
Salary:$6,450.00 - $7,837.00 Monthly
Closing Date:04/20/18 05:00 PM
The Assistant Planner performs professional planning duties in reviewing and issuing permits; providing counter assistance; and providing basic code administration and assistance in more complex projects as assigned.
The Senior Planner performs professional planning duties in conducting studies; coordination and managing long range and current projects and programs; and reviewing and approving land use and environmental permits.
Assistant Planner - (Non-Exempt)
Hiring Salary Range: $6450 - $7112 per month, plus excellent benefits.
Senior Planner - (Exempt)
Hiring Salary Range: $6900 - $7606 per month, plus excellent benefits.
NOTE: Hiring above the salary mid-range requires Mayor's Office approval.
Our Mission: To provide superior services that support a safe, inviting, healthy environment for our residents, businesses and guests. All potential team members are evaluated on the following values:
Caring –We support the diverse community we serve with compassion, empathy and kindness.
Professional – We hold ourselves to the highest ethical standards and act with integrity and transparency. We are respectful and courteous with all.
Responsive – We are timely and effective in the delivery of great customer service. We continually strive to find innovative ways to improve.
Essential Duties and Responsibilities:
- Provides assistance to the front counter and provides information to other departments and the public regarding land use and environmental regulations, codes, and permit process.
- Reviews and processes land use permits and applications. Reviews, processes, determines completeness of development applications; prepares notices to the public and affected agencies; and coordinates inter-departmental and agency review. Reviews and approves business and liquor licenses. Reviews, processes, approves and defends complex land use applications.
- Researches, analyzes, and prepares correspondence, reports, papers, statistical summaries, and other material requiring judgment as to content, accuracy, and completeness.
- Maintains reasonable, predictable, and regular attendance during the standard work week.
- Represents the department and City before regulatory boards, commissions, agencies, organizations, and at inter-governmental meetings. Senior Planner facilitates meetings, group discussions, forums and open houses; organizes, publicizes and speaks at public meetings.
- Assists in the preparation and submission of graphics, maps, and documents relating to reports, grant applications, or other projects or activities.
- Performs research, compiles and analyzes data, and assists in the management of department records.KNOWLEDGE, SKILLS AND ABILITIES:
Knowledge(position requirements at entry):
- Terminology, methods, materials, practices, and techniques in area of assignment;
- Customer service techniques;
- City organization and operations;
- Modern office practices and procedures;
- Tools and equipment used in area of assignment;
- Environmental/natural resource background desirable but not required.
Skills (position requirements at entry):
- Using computer equipment related to assigned field and associated hardware, software, and peripherals;
- Familiarity with Sharepoint;
- Preparing and maintaining accurate records and files;
- Applying customer service techniques;
- Handling multiple tasks;
- Establishing and maintaining effective interpersonal relationships at all organizational levels;
- Communication, both oral and written, sufficient to exchange or convey information and to receive work direction.
- Foreign language skills desirable but not required.
Additional Senior Planner Skills (position requirement at entry):
- Working independently with little supervision, exercising initiative and sound judgment;
- Interpreting and applying complex and inter-related laws and regulations;
- Giving presentations and facilitating meetings and events;
- Project management and handling multiple tasks;
- Coordinating and delegating tasks, projects, and assignments;
- Researching and analyzing statistics and various informaiton;
- Interpreting and reviewing aerial photographs and survey notes.
Education, Experience and Other Requirements:
Training, Experience and Licensing Requirements (Position requirements at entry):
Bachelor's Degree in Planning or related field and one year (two years for Senior Planner) of planning or related experience; or an equivalent combination of education and experience which provides the knowledge, skills, and abilities sufficient to perform the essential elements of the job.
Positions in this class typically require: stooping, kneeling, crouching, reaching, mobility, fingering, grasping, talking, seeing, hearing, and repetitive motions.
Sedentary work: Exerting up to 10 pounds of force occasionally and/or a negligible amount of force frequently or constantly to lift, carry, push, pull or otherwise move objects, including the human body. Sedentary work involves sitting, most of the time. Jobs are sedentary if walking and standing are required only occasionally and all other sedentary criteria are met. Some positions may require greater periods of walking and/or standing.
The City of Tukwila is an Equal Employment Opportunity (EEO) employer and does not discriminate in any employer/employee relations based on race, color, religion, creed, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity, national origin, age, marital status, political affiliation, disability, genetic information, veteran's status or any other basis protected by discrimination laws.
- The City of Tukwila is a smoke-free working environment. -
Apply to Job