Psychiatric Advanced Practice Registered Nurse
- Watkins Health Services - KU campus Lawrence
- Job Type:
- Full Time
- Posted Date:
- Apr. 12th 2018
- Lawrence, KS 66045
This is a professional position for an Advanced Practice Registered Nurse (APRN), certified in Psychiatry Mental Health, at Watkins Health Services (WHS) on the KU campus in Lawrence, Kansas. The incumbent will work interdependently, independently, and dependently as a member of a health care team in the performance of a health care regimen. Duties will be carried out in accordance with 1) WHS administration policies and operational procedures (which must be followed in all aspects of patient care); 2) established standards and ethics of the medical profession; and 3) personal clinical qualifications. Within this framework, duties are carried out with considerable latitude for independent judgment and action.
The incumbent in this position will see, hear and possibly have access to confidential information that must be handled in accordance with all relevant state and federal laws and University policies and procedures regarding its use and disclosure. This position is also authorized to review, create and process patient information and/or data in accordance with established procedures in the performance of job duties.
WHS utilizes computer technology in all aspects of its operations, including an electronic health record system. The incumbent must become familiar with and be able to use the appropriate computer hardware and software programs associated with this position.
The incumbent must become familiar with and adhere to the Watkins Health Services Customer Service Plan to ensure appropriate interaction and positive outcomes with both internal and external customers.
Watkins Health Services is a unit in Student Affairs.
80% Patient Care
- Performs physical and psychosocial assessments and examinations and establishes appropriate diagnoses for eligible KU students.
- Orders appropriate lab and diagnostic studies and refers patients to other providers as needed.
- Prescribes an appropriate pharmaceutical treatment program based on the needs of the patient, within the professional guidelines.
- Communicates with and educates patients about their condition and follow-up care; medication and its desired effects and potential adverse effects.
- Provides crisis stabilization services.
- Refers stable patients to members of the general medical staff for continued pharmacological management; and to CAPS or a community based practice for extended counseling.
- Serves as a liaison with the medical staff on psychiatric issues.
- Seeks consultation from a physician for unusual or unresponsive cases according to written protocols.
- Maintains thorough and accurate documentation in the electronic medical record, in compliance with the WHS record completion policy. No other records, paper or electronic, should be maintained by the employee. Documentation in medical records should justify diagnosis, treatment, and disposition.
- Maintains other appropriate legal documents and required forms.
- Follows WHS guidelines for all patient referrals and transfer of medical information to external consultants, including CAPS
- Works with other health professionals to develop policies and procedures pertaining to overall medical standards of practice.
- Evaluates effectiveness of care using established guidelines.
- Reasonably adheres to appointment schedule.
- Participates in accredited continuing medical education to keep license and certification current, also to maintain professional knowledge and skills needed to carry out duties and responsibilities of the position.
- Directs support staff, as indicated, during clinical care.
- Serves on WHS and University committees as requested.
- Confers with other medical staff members as indicated regarding over-all general patient care.
- Performs miscellaneous duties as assigned by Director/Chief of Staff.
- Masters of Science in clinical specialty of Psychiatric Nursing.
- Graduate of an accredited Nurse Practitioner program.
- Two years of related professional work experience.
- Licensed or eligible to be licensed by the Kansas State Board of Nursing.
- Board certified or eligible in Psychiatric Mental Health specialty.
- Current unrestricted Drug Enforcement Agency (DEA) registration.
- Current BLS certification.
- Ability to work independently, and in cooperation with others.
- Able to communicate and relate well with staff and students in an academic environment as demonstrated in past work experience.
- Strong organizational skills as demonstrated in the application materials and interview process.
- Current ACLS certification.
Apply to Job
- PSYCHIATRIC ADVANCED PRACTICE REGISTERED NURSE Lawrence KS 66045