Registered Nurse - Charge Nurse
- Parmer Medical Center
- Job Type:
- Full Time
- Posted Date:
- Jan. 9th 2019
- Friona, TX 79035
Reports To: Director Of Nursing
Works under the supervision of the Director of Nursing and assures provision of care to the assigned patient population in a professional manner, utilizing the nursing process and principles of continuous quality improvement in collaboration with other members of the healthcare team. The Charge Nurse is responsible for the supervision of Nursing Department staff members assigned to the shift. The Charge Nurse is responsible for assigning duties, examining work for exactness, neatness, and conformance to policies and procedures. The Charge Nurse is also responsible for successful organizational and administrative operation of the shift in accordance with current applicable federal, state and local standards, guidelines and regulations. They also assure the highest degree of quality patient care is maintained at all times.
- Reflects the hospital’s philosophy of excellence and professionalism while directly performing the job and at all times when representing the department or hospital.
- Adheres to all applicable aspects of the hospital’s various policy and procedure manuals.
- Accepts responsibility for his/her actions.
- Is internally inspired to perform to the best of one’s ability using his/her own drive or initiative.
- Develops and maintains communication and social skills.
- Observes courtesy standards through use of verbal amenities, pleasant facial and body expressions and pleasant voice tone when in contact with co-workers, physicians, patients and visitors.
- Communicates appropriately and clearly to physicians, staff and administrative team.
- Promotes a positive attitude for good interpersonal and interdepartmental relationships.
- Shows consideration for and maintains good relations with others and is sensitive to the feelings of others.
- Works effectively with people regardless of their age, gender, race, ethnicity, religion, or job type.
- Interacts effectively with supervisors and peers in building a cohesive work group.
- Develops and maintains sound working relationships with others at various levels of the organization.
- Skill in conflict resolution is demonstrated.
- Maintains composure when confronted with job stress or emergency situations.
- Adapts well to change in the work place.
- Selects and prioritizes suitable alternative courses of action when confronted by an obstacle.
- Consistent and concise lines of authority and responsibility are maintained.
- Maintains confidentiality of patients, staff and department information at all times.
- Takes care of the patient’s and family’s needs while following hospital procedures.
- Interacts professionally and empathetically with them.
- Performs all aspects of patient care in an environment that optimizes patient safety and reduces the likelihood of medical/health errors.
- Ensures that patient’s rights to fair and equitable treatment, self determination, individuality, privacy, property and civil rights, including the right to wage a complaint are well established and maintained at all times.
- Keeps abreast of the economic condition/situation and makes adjustments as directed/necessary to assure the continued ability to provide quality patient care.
- Treats patients and their families with respect and dignity.
- Identifies and addresses psychosocial, cultural, ethnic and religious/spiritual need of patients and their families.
- Adheres to safety guidelines and reports hazards or accidents/illnesses immediately to supervisor.
- Minimizes waste of supplies, misuse of equipment and reports any knowledge thereof to supervisor.
- Participates effectively in the orientation of new staff.
- Cross trains for other positions as directed by supervisor or administrator.
- Functions in an organized manner and plans work assignments to effectively use time.
- Attends all mandatory training and educational programs to maintain necessary competency including but not limited to licensure and/or certification.
- Keeps unscheduled absences (sick leave and emergencies) to a minimum and always verifies need.
- Is willing to work beyond normal schedule when necessary.
- Maintains an overall neat and clean appearance.
- Selects conservative dress styles reflective of the job while adhering to the dress guidelines established by the department.
- Responds objectively and positively to changes occurring in the hospital and health care.
- Performs other related duties and responsibilities as necessary or as directed by the supervisor or Hospital Administrator.
- Assumes the authority, responsibility and accountability of directing the shift.
- Plans, organizes and directs shift activities.
- Informs Director of Nursing of Nursing Department issues or concerns.
- Maintains reporting responsibility to the Director of Nursing.
- Monitors staff activity and productivity.
- Assists in conducting performance evaluations after the trial period and at least annually.
- Uses good judgment in making independent decisions when circumstances warrant such action.
- Seeks out new methods and principles and incorporates them into existing practices.
- Makes recommendations in the development of department policies/procedures/position descriptions/standards and related documentation.
- Assures that personnel maintain the departmental and hospital general policies and procedures at all times.
- Interprets departmental policies and procedures to personnel, patients, family members, etc. as necessary.
- Maintains confidentiality of all pertinent patient care information to assure patient rights are protected. Assures staff does the same.
- Grasps and understands business concepts and issues.
- Assists in the development of departmental goals.
- Coordinates with staff necessary steps to achieve same.
- Makes decisions or takes action to solve a problem or reach a goal.
- Provides required orientation and on the job training to new departmental personnel.
- Cross trains staff (within legal licensing requirements) to assure departmental ability to perform all functions.
- Maintains knowledge of and ability to perform all jobs within the department.
- Assists in developing and participating in programs designed for in-service education and on the job training.
- Maintains an excellent working relationship with hospital medical staff, department directors and administration.
- Assists with evaluating and implementing recommendations from the hospital’s committees including but not limited to Infection Control, Quality Assurance, etc.
- Under the direction of the Director of Nursing meets with and solicits advice from other department directors to correct problems areas and/or the improvement of services.
- Represent the department by attending internal meetings as directed.
- Assists with the development and maintenance of the departments plan for a systematic process for monitoring and evaluating the quality and appropriateness of (patient care) services and for resolving identified problems.
- Attends and participates in workshops, seminars, etc. to keep abreast of current changes in the healthcare field, as well as to maintain a professional status.
- Develops and maintains a working relationship with other health related facilities and organizations.
- Maintains accurate statistical data and compile monthly reports for administration and/or medical staff as requested.
- Assures the department is maintained in a clean and safe manner for employees and patients by assuring necessary equipment and supplies are maintained to perform such duties/service.
Position Specific Responsibilities:
- Determines priorities of care based on physical and psychosocial needs of patients and assigns nursing staff appropriately based on their needs.
- Orients new staff: provides shift supervision to support the successful onboarding of new staff members.
- Oversees completion of department specific administrative tasks (e.g. census sheet and acuity sheet)
- Performs a head-to-toe assessment on all in-patients at a minimum of every 24 hours and as needed if patient status changes.
- Keeps informed about status of all patients.
- Performs admission assessment on all admissions.
- Assures new admission orders are entered by staff nurse on all admissions.
- Implements plan of care on all inpatients.
- Provides shift report to on-coming shift.
- Provides care to a dedicated team of patients if acuity and census requires additional assistance.
- Provides care to Emergency Room patients if census or acuity requires additional assistance.
- Assesses and reassesses pain.
- Utilizes appropriate pain management techniques.
- the patient and family regarding pain management.
- Responds quickly and accurately to changes in condition or response to treatment.
- Makes independent decisions when circumstances warrant such action.
- Demonstrates leadership ability and the willingness to work harmoniously with and monitor professional and non-professional people.
- Demonstrates the ability to plan, organize, develop, implement and interpret the programs, goals, policies and procedures of the Nursing Department.
- Works with staff nurse to develop a teaching plan for all patients based on their needs.
- Successfully delivers education to all patients based on their needs.
- Completes cleaning assignments when assigned.
- Reads and signs all staff meeting minutes and memos.
- Completes Manual Reviews as assigned.
- Completes Skill Reviews as assigned.
- Other duties as required or assigned.
- Must possess a Nursing Degree from an accredited school of nursing.
- Must possess and maintain a current Registered Nurse License in the State of Texas (or compact license with the State of Texas).
- Current BLS is required
- ACLS, TNCC, and ENPC certification a plus.
- A minimum of 1 year nursing experience is required.
- Must possess typing skills and general computer experience.
- Availability to take call in rotation.
- Must possess leadership and interpersonal skills.
- Must possess skills in time management and organization.
- Must be able to read, write and speak the English language in an understandable manner.
- Has verbal ability to understand oral and written instructions stated in medical terms and ability to communicate with exchange information with hospital staff and patients.
- Must be in good general health and demonstrate emotional stability.
- Must possess sight/hearing/touch senses or the use of prosthetics that will enable these senses to function adequately so that the requirements of the position can be met.
- Must be able to move intermittently throughout the work day.
- Must be able to cope with the mental and emotional stress of the position.
- Works in well lighted/ventilated areas.
- May sit or stand for long periods.
- Must be able to stoop, bend, lift and move intermittently during work hours.
- Subject to frequent interruptions.
- May be subjected to infectious diseases, substances, contaminated articles, etc.
Apply to Job
- Licensed Vocational Nurse Friona TX 79035