- Sparrow Health System
- Job Type:
- Full Time
- Posted Date:
- Jan. 14th 2020
- Lansing, MI 48901
Reviews and screens patients for the appropriateness of services, the utilization of hospital resources and quality of patient care. Combines clinical, business and regulatory knowledge and skill to reduce significant financial risk and exposure involving medical necessity of admission processes. Through continuous assessment, problem identification and education, facilitates the quality of health care delivery in the most cost effective and efficient manner.
- Coordinates, prioritizes and assigns all patient admissions from Emergency Department, Post Anesthesia Care Unit, other internal departments, physician offices, outlying hospitals, etc.
- Identifies attending physician for patients being admitted. Set up conference call with appropriate attending physicians, consulting physicians, and other caregivers. Communicate incoming transfers with all appropriate departments. Assist with special requests such as transportation, special equipment, additional testing, etc.
- Conducts clinical reviews of the patient charts to determine appropriate financial class for patient admissions (i.e., inpatient versus observation status)
- Enters required information into the Electronic Medical Record.
- Assigns admitted patients to the most appropriate level of care and assists with special needs requests related to bed assignment.
- Arranges for the internal transfer between patient beds and units. Manages special bed needs, such as critical care, telemetry, isolation, etc.
- Attends and actively participates in the daily bed meetings to plan for potential and known admissions, discharges and transfers.
- Prioritizes bed cleaning as needed for efficient patient flow.
- Works collaboratively with Patient Access, Emergency Department, Patient Support Services, Nursing, Environmental Services, Facilities, Transportation, Surgery, Cardiology, and other Sparrow Caregivers to ensure a smooth admission process for physicians and patients.
- Participates in departmental Performance Improvement, Corporate Compliance, Patient Satisfaction, and other activities to ensure optimal operations of the department. Actively participates in the design and implementation of strategies to improve department operations and patient outcomes.
- Demonstrates knowledge and maintains and respects patient right to privacy by following the HIPAA Privacy and Security policies and procedures.
- Adheres to ICARE values and standards of behavior (Innovation, Compassion, Accountability, Respect, Excellence).
- Role model behaviors that value the diversity of our caregivers, patients and customers and supports creating an environment that is inclusive, welcoming and respectful.
- Communicates with patients, families and customers using AIDET (Acknowledge,
- Introduce, Duration, Explanation, Thank).
- Works in a safe manner and promptly reports any hazards identified in the work environment or related to assigned responsibilities.
- Adheres to policies and procedures designed to avoid, prevent and reduce the spread of communicable diseases.
- Minimum of five years recent experience in an acute care hospital in ED, critical care, med-surg, or nursing (hospital-wide) supervision or 3 years recent experience in an acute care hospital with recent charge experience on a regular basis, or two years previous experience in an Admission/Bed Placement Center at an acute care hospital of similar size and volume of admissions.
- Experience as charge nurse, nursing supervisor or critical care nurse.
- Graduate of an accredited Nursing program
- Registered Nurse with current Michigan license.
- Bachelor's Degree in Nursing
- Specialized Knowledge and Skills
- Demonstrates excellent clinical knowledge, skills and judgment, with strong clinical nursing assessment skills.
- Demonstrates excellent critical thinking skills.
- Demonstrates ability to handle multiple tasks concurrently, think logically and sequentially, creatively problem solve.
- Demonstrates ability to quickly adjust to change.
- Demonstrates ability to work independently, organize and prioritize work to meet all deadlines.
- Demonstrates excellent verbal and written communication skills, including relationship building, negotiation, persuasion, marketing and advocacy.
- Demonstrates ability to work in stressful situations, manage conflict and assume a leadership role.
- Proficient in use of computers.
- This position requires computer testing. You must pass a typing test at 45 WPM or more and a cusomter service test at 90% or higher.
- Sparrow Health System is an Equal Opportunity/Affirmative Action employer. All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity, national origin, disability, or protected Veteran status.
Apply to Job